Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Missing Home

I've been living in VA for almost 3 years, in August it will be official when Mike and I celebrate our 3rd Wedding Anniversary. No matter how many days, months or years seem to pass I still miss NJ. There's a special place in all of our hearts for the place that we grew up calling "home." Home is where I drove with my dad is a limo home for Pascack Valley Hospital, when my mom says my dad leaned over to me in my carseat and said, "Next time I ride with you in a limo will be on your wedding day." Home is where I took my first step at my Aunt Loret and Uncle Peter's home down the road. Home is where I learned to ride a bike with only two wheels my Uncle Keith in front of the carport. Home is where I had play dates with Kerry Gehm and Samantha Smith and ran under the weeping willow trees in the back yard with Frankie and the Morgenstein's after dinner time. It's where my mom and I shared Gilmore Girl like moments everyday, where I learned to cook with her, where we celebrated every holiday and hosted dinner club for a special group of people at our church. It's where we had an open house every Christmas Day for other people we knew who had no family to celebrate with. It's where I went to school, discovered who I was and who I wanted to be, where I gave my life to Jesus at youth group at Montvale Evangelical Free Church. It's where most of my family lives, where Jersey accents are heard, bagels are the best, family owned businesses are the norm and memories are everywhere I look.

Today I guess I just need some time to grieve. Grieve over being away from family and home. And there is nothing wrong with mourning. Jesus says, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted" (Matthew 5:4). When we let ourselves mourn over things that make our hearts heavy or eyes tear up we will be comforted by God. Often times I try to stuff down my emotions, but not today. Today a good cry is doing me well, I feel the Lord's comfort and sense the Lord's compassion. He cares about me, he cares that I miss NJ, He understands and that is a great reminder for me.

2 Corinthians 1: 2-4 “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.”

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God ; trust also in me. John 14:1

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to comment on this since you posted this

    Girl God must have me on your heart when you write some of these blog entries :-)
    Same day I was complaining about missing "home/Florida" you wrote this
    love you
    keep up the writing!
    it sure convicting me :-)
    love you my friend
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete