Sunday, April 25, 2010

His Presence in the Storm

Many of you may know that over the past 2 years I have struggled with what has felt at times like a debilitating fear of tornadoes/thunderstorms.  This struggle was allowed by the Lord in my life two years ago when driving home from school (I was working in Fairfax at the time) I drove through my first real VA severe thunderstorm/tornado warning.  It was a traumatizing time for me as I pulled over on the side of the road screaming out "Jesus, please don't let me die now, don't let me die." It may seem silly to some but I has never experienced such a scary storm and being in my 1st year of marriage in a new state and 2 weeks into moving to another new area I felt a loss of safety/comfort in the unknown surrounding me.  The Lord, as He promises, protected me. He was my shelter from the storm. However, it has been 2 years of deep struggle with anxiety spurred by that event.  God has a plan for me in this time.  Recently, after hearing our Pastor Lon Solomon speak about why God sometimes chooses not to answer our prayers in the time or way we would like I realized the main reason I still have not been able to overcome this struggle.  God is still trying to teach me something.  Now please understand God is not trying to teach me something in the sense of him punishing me in some way.  God is teaching me a lesson out of his love for me and desire to see me become more like Him.  I have said numerous prayers pleading with God like Paul (2 cor. 12:8) with the "thorn in his flesh." However, God has not taken this time of struggling from me.  He has, however, put upon my heart more an earnestness to pray "God what are you teaching me? What do you want me to learn?" He has already taught me many things... 

1. I am out of control
2. I am out of control
3. He is in control
4. I am out of control 

Sounds kind of funny but this one lesson has been repeated over and over again in my life over the past 2 years.  Now, I am sure I will always struggle with control at one time or another but I have been learning that I want God to be in control and not myself.  For this I praise Him. Tonight it is thundering and lightening out.  I am in our living room listening and watching.  I am not panicking as I normally do.  There's not panic attack rising up within me.  Tonight I am trying to meditate on seeing God's presence in the storm.

Meditate Psalm 29 with me as I try to remember God's control and turn away from my fear.  I hope you also will be encouraged to turn from your fears, remembering who God is.

 Ascribe to the LORD, O mighty ones, 
       ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
 Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; 
       worship the LORD in the splendor of his 
 The voice of the LORD is over the waters; 
       the God of glory thunders, 
       the LORD thunders over the mighty waters.The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars; 
       the LORD breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.
 The voice of the LORD strikes with flashes of lightning.
The voice of the LORD shakes the desert; 
       the LORD shakes the Desert of Kadesh. 
The voice of the LORD twists the oaks 
       and strips the forests bare. 
       And in his temple all cry, "Glory!" The LORD sits enthroned over the flood; 
       the LORD is enthroned as King forever.
The LORD gives strength to his people; 
       the LORD blesses his people with peace.

Enjoy the beginning of your week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment